A BCBA is completing an intake with a new 12-year old client. During the parent interview, the BCBA learns that the family is seeking services due to severe challenging behavior. The BCBA has previously worked with younger clients and with less severe challenging behavior. What steps should the BCBA take when designing treatment to ensure they are working within their scope of practice?
- Obtain consultation, supervision and training, or make referral as necessary
- Provide behavior-analytic services in collaboration with others who support and/or provide services to one’s clients
- Select a measurement system to obtain representative data given the dimensions of the behavior and the logistics of observing and recording
- Define behavior in observable and measurable terms
Step 1: Identify the concept being tested
This question tests your understanding of problem identification and understanding of scope of practice.
Step 2: Analyze the question
In this scenario, a behavior analyst discovers a new family is seeking ABA services due to severe challenging behavior. The behavior analyst has some experience with less challenging behavior in a younger age group. The question asks the reader to identify which steps the BCBA should take to ensure best practice.
The Correct Answer is A
The Task List outlines the importance of practicing within one’s scope and lists examples of how to do so. For this example, obtaining consultation, supervision and training, or making referrals to other professionals when necessary would be the appropriate steps.
- When providing services to clients who receive services from other professionals both in the field of ABA or otherwise, it is important to collaborate services and supports whenever possible to ensure continuity of care between setting and instructors for better service provision and results. Given the scenario in this question, this would not be the next best step for the BCBA.
- When creating intervention to effect behavior change, it is important to utilize a measurement system that will accurately represent the data obtain in the intervention. However, in this question, this would not be the next best step for the BCBA.
- When creating definitions of behavior, the BCBA should use terms that describe behavior that can be see with the eye and measured to indicate behavior change accurately. This would not be the next best step for the BCBA, given the scenario.
Task List Reference:
Task List 4 Section Area:
G. Identification of the Problem
Task List 4 Item:
G-07. Practice within one's limits of professional competency in applied behavior analysis and obtain consultation, supervision, and training, or make referrals as necessary.