Everything You Need to Know About EPPP Part 2
Earlier this year we reported that the ASPPB is planning to introduce a second part to the EPPP, known as the EPPP Part 2. This second part of the EPPP, which is designed to test a candidate’s skills and competency, was originally planned to be introduced on January 2019. However, the ASPPB recently announced that the EPPP Part 2 will not be launched until January 2020. This can be read in their updated FAQ. Thus, any psychologist who is licensed prior to January 1, 2020, does not need to worry about Part 2.
Other important updates to the EPPP Part 2 include the following:
- Starting January 1, 2020, the EPPP will be one exam with two parts. The current EPPP (Part 1) will test a candidates’ knowledge, while the EPPP (Part 2) will test their skills and competency through the use of vignettes, avatars, items with multiple correct responses, and exhibits that accompany questions.
- Once introduced, the EPPP Part 2 will be a mandatory part of the EPPP for all jurisdictions. Rather than letting individual jurisdictions choose their own implementation time-frames, the ASPPB has determined that the integrity of the EPPP depends on Part 2 being treated as an essential part of competency assessment. Thus, all jurisdictions will be required to use both parts of the enhanced EPPP as of January 1, 2020.
- Each part of the EPPP will cost $600, totaling $1200. This does not include test site fees.<
- Once Part 2 is launched, the first part of the test will become available before a candidate receives his or her degree. Once all academic coursework for the degree (excluding practicum, research, or internship credits) has been successfully completed, a candidate will be able to take the EPPP Part 1. Candidates will not be required to take the EPPP Part 1 prior to internship, but it will be offered as an option. This will help spread out the financial burden.
- A candidate will be eligible to take the EPPP Part 2 after the completion of internship and after the degree has been awarded and after Part 1 has been passed.
- The areas of skills that will be tested on the EPPP Part 2 will include Scientific Orientation to Practice, Relational Competence; Assessment and Intervention, Ethical Practice, Collaboration, Consultation and Supervision.
Ready to start studying?
Make an appointment with our Educational Coordinators to help you build your study plan.