Canine Assisted Psychotherapy with Adolescents (1 CE)
Credits: 1 CE Credit Hour
Course Developed By: Jennifer Kolb, LCSW
Course Description: This course meets the needs of diverse mental health practitioners who endeavor to learn more about differing Animal Assisted Treatment Interventions in therapeutic settings.
This course is for: Social Workers, Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists, Addiction Counselors and Graduate Students
Course By: Elizabeth Price, LCSW, LMFT
Content By: This course has been developed by Jones MG, Rice SM, Cotton SM (2019) Incorporating animal-assisted therapy in mental health treatments for adolescents: A systematic review of canine assisted psychotherapy. PLoS ONE 14(1): e0210761.
Number of Credits: 1 Credit Hours
Course Description: This course meets the needs of diverse mental health practitioners who endeavor to learn more about differing Animal Assisted Treatment Interventions in therapeutic settings. Practitioners who treat adolescents may find this course particularly useful. The researchers initially discussed the inclusion of animals within a therapeutic context and considered various animal-assisted treatment intervention options. Thereafter, discussion pertaining to the implementation of a mixed methods approach ensued. Finally, the results pertaining to canine-supported psychotherapeutic treatment outcomes were discussed.
- Explore the effectiveness of Canine Assisted Psychotherapy (CAP) on mentally ill adolescents
- Identify the characteristics of treatment interventions
- Understand the impact of Canine Assisted Psychotherapy on adolescent functioning
- Understand key points pertaining to the acceptability, tolerability, and feasibility of CAP for adolescents with mental health disorders.
- Read and understand Incorporating animal-assisted therapy in mental health treatments for adolescents: A systematic review of canine assisted psychotherapy
- Read and review the Course Description and Learning Objectives
- Consider the practical application of incorporating animals into the therapeutic environment
- Work through the post-test questions; bear in mind that answer selections should be derived from the respective journal article
- Return to the referenced article for any missed questions and/or to review different CAP treatment modality outcomes as needed