Enhancing School Safety (2 CE)
This course is for: Social Workers, School Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists, Addiction Counselors, Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors
To be awarded 2 continuing education hours, you must read the course content, take the post-test, and complete the evaluation to be awarded your certificate of completion.
Course By: Shannon Nix is a licensed clinical social worker who has devoted her professional career and personal endeavors in areas of health education, cancer support, youth mentorship, and philanthropy cause to promote optimal quality of life for those impacted by medical crises.
Her private practice in Southern California focuses on health psychology, community mental health education, clinical supervision, and trauma informed care.
Content By: National Threat Assessment Center. (2018). Enhancing school safety using a threat assessment model: An operational guide for preventing targeted school violence. U.S. Secret Service, Department of Homeland Security
Course Description: There has been an unpresented crisis in the United States and gun violence in school-based settings. the United States Secret Services developed the National Threat Assessment Center (NTAC) since 1999 to prove research, training, and consultation threat assessment and how to prevent school-based violence. This training will provide insights on how to identify students who are likely to be at risk for engaging in acts of violence ad how to assess their actions. Specific tools and community-based models will be provided to help school and community stakeholders develop and intervene confidently to both prevent acts of violence but also intervene successfully in crisis.
- Create a Threat Assessment Team to prevent school-based violence
- Define behaviors and risk factors that are associated with school violence
- How to manage risk factors immediately and long term
- Promote safer school environments through school and community stakeholders
- Review and apply resources on mental health, emergency management, violence prevention, and school safety
- Identify concerns and risks of potential act of violence in school settings
- Formulate plans to create safe school climates and prevention initiatives
- Compare Design a threat assessment team with a multi-disciplinary team and community-based approach
- Develop protocols and procedures throughout all stages of threat assessments and interventions
- Utilize training to reduce the likelihood of the occurrences of school violence and enhance violence prevention efforts