Helicopter Parenting, Self-Control, and School Burnout (1 CE)
This course is for: Clinical Psychologists, Marriage & Family Therapists, and Counselors
Course By: Ken Springer, PhD
Content By: Love, H., May, R. W., Cui, M., & Fincham, F. D. (2019). Helicopter parenting, self-control, and school burnout among emerging adults. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 29, 327-337.
Course Description: Helicopter parenting has been linked to college student school burnout. The present study examined whether helicopter parenting creates burnout by undermining student self-control, and whether parental gender influences the extent of burnout. Based on surveys administered to a large undergraduate sample, the researchers found that helicopter parenting diminishes student self-control, which in turn leaves students susceptible to school burnout. The researchers also found that the effects of helicopter parenting on student burnout were stronger for fathers than for mothers. These findings have clinical implications for parenting practices as well as for college student school adjustment.
- Describe the conceptual model linking helicopter parenting to student self-control and school burnout
- Describe the main findings of the study with respect to helicopter parenting, student self-control, and student school burnout, and note the role played by parental gender
- Integrate the strengths and limitations of the study, and summarize the clinical implications for both parenting practices and college student school adjustment
- Read and understand Helicopter parenting, self-control, and school burnout among emerging adults
- Review the Course Description and Learning Objectives
- Analyze the conceptual model in which helicopter parenting affects student self-control in a way that fosters school burnout, and consider how parental gender is believed to play a role
- Integrate the study's key findings, strengths, limitations, and clinical implications
- Work through the post-test questions, using the article as the sole basis for your answers
- Revisit the article for any missed questions and/or to better understand the role of helicopter parenting and diminished self-control in student school burnout