Internet-Delivered CBT for Chronic Health Conditions (1 CE)
This course is for: Psychologists, Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists
Course By: Paula Lin, LMFT
Content By: Mehta, S., Peynenburg, V.A., and Hadjistavropoulos, H.D. (2019). Internet-delivered cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic health conditions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 42, 169-187.
Course Description: Patients with chronic health conditions and a comorbid diagnosis(es) of depression and/or anxiety frequently encounter mental health treatment barriers. Treatment barriers may include issues pertaining to mobility, scheduling and stigma. The aforementioned barriers are illustrative, not exhaustive, of the potential obstacles these patients may endure. The efficacy of internet-delivered cognitive behavior therapy (ICBT) as an effective treatment modality for this demographic, and alternate treatment approach to traditional face-to-face therapy, was examined in the accompanying study. Additionally, improvement in secondary outcomes relative to acceptance, catastrophizing, and self-efficacy was observed.
- Identify possible internet-directed cognitive behavior therapy (ICBT) barriers when treating patients with chronic health conditions and anxiety and/or depression
- Understand the data analysis and explore the related clinical implications of treating patients with chronic health conditions and/or anxiety and depression via ICBT
- Review the areas for future research discussed in the study
- Read and understand Internet-Delivered Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Chronic Health Conditions: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Review the Course Description and Learning Objectives
- Consider the benefits of ICBT implementation as a treatment modality for patients with chronic health conditions and/or anxiety and depression
- Work through the post-test questions; answer selections should be derived from the accompanying article
- Return to the referenced article for any missed questions and/or to understand the value of ICBT treatment implementation for this demographic