Narcissistic Personality Disorder (6 CE)
Course Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Course Developed By: Jennifer Kolb, LCSW
Bio: Jennifer Kolb, LCSW; Social Work Consultant, reviewed and determined the course meets requirements for continuing education in the field of social work. This course is appropriate for masters and clinical level social workers. Jennifer graduated with a Master’s degree in Social Work with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Louisville, Kentucky. She specializes in school-based psychotherapy with children and adolescents, as well as licensing exam coaching and preparation.
Content By: Patricia Patton, Ph.D., Gerry Grossman, M.A., LMFT
Course Delivery: Online, Self-Paced
Course Description: This course is designed to provide a multifaceted exploration of assessment, developmental, relational and treatment dynamics with regard to Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Self-defeating and destructive narcissistic attitudes and patterns will be reviewed, including the roles of grandiose fantasies, narcissistic wounds, shame, envy and rage. Dual diagnoses and other pertinent co-occurring disorders will be discussed in relation to NPD. Treatment dynamics and therapeutic implications will be presented to address narcissistic issues more effectively. Prevailing sociological issues will be discussed including narcissism and gender, fame, and the workplace. Illustrative case examples enliven the learning process and enhance the acquisition of therapeutic skills.
- Distinguish between healthy and pathological narcissism, and assess for and identify Narcissistic Personality Disorder, including various typologies of narcissism.
- Assist clients coping with the self-defeating and destructive patterns of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
- Examine the dynamics of dual diagnoses and other pertinent co-morbid disorders in relation to NPD.
- Communicate more effectively with clients exhibiting narcissistic behaviors.
- Explore the impact of prevailing sociological issues such as gender roles, fame and workplace dynamics.
Course materials can be downloaded or read online. To receive a certificate of completion, you must complete a multiple-choice post-test with a score of 75% or better and complete a course evaluation.
|Board Approvals||American Psychological Association (APA), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NBCC, Florida Board - Social Work, MFT, Counseling, and Psychology, NYSED - Social Work, MFT and Counseling Only, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders|
|CE Format||Online, Text-Based|
|CE Included In||All Access Pass|