Pregnant Teens (3 CE)
Course Level: Beginner, Intermediate
This course is for: LMFTs, Social Workers, LPCCs, Nurses, Substance Abuse Counselors, and mental health clinicians.
Course Developed By: Jennifer Kolb, LCSW
Jennifer Kolb, LCSW; Social Work Consultant, reviewed and determined the course meets requirements for continuing education in the field of social work. This course is appropriate for masters and clinical level social workers. Jennifer graduated with a Master’s degree in Social Work with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Louisville, Kentucky. She specializes in school-based psychotherapy with children and adolescents, as well as licensing exam coaching and preparation.
Content By: Mary Ella Viehe, Ph.D, LMFT, Patricia Patton, Ph.D
Course Description: This course presents an overview of the demographics, family dynamics, psychosocial and environmental factors, and treatment issues involved in teen pregnancy and teen parenting. Common personal, social and characteristics, including personal history, ethnicity and socioeconomics of pregnant teens are presented. Efforts aimed at prevention, including interventions directed at parents and public policy, are described. Interventions directed at educating and assisting the adolescent(s) with decision-making regarding the pregnancy are also discussed.
Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify societal efforts to address teenage pregnancy through education, healthcare, and contraception.
- Demonstrate culturally-competent approaches for counseling of pregnant or parenting teens, with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, age, and sexual orientation.
- Understand the legal rights of pregnant and parenting teens.
- Educate clients about the array of possible options and resources available to pregnant teenagers and biological fathers.
- Communicate effectively with clients and professional colleagues about the economic, medical and developmental issues related to teenage pregnancy.
|Board Approvals||American Psychological Association (APA), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NBCC, Florida Board - Social Work, MFT, Counseling, and Psychology, NYSED - Social Work, MFT and Counseling Only, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders|
|CE Format||Online, Text-Based|