Sleep Problems Related to ADHD (1 CE)
Number of credits: 1
This course is for: Clinical Psychologists and Counselors
Course By: Rachel Schoor, PhD
Course Content: Wajszilber, D., Santiseban, J. A., & Gruber, R. (2018). Sleep disorders in patients with ADHD: impact and management challenges. Nature and science of sleep, 10, 453.
Course Description: Despite the high comorbidity of attention deficit/hyperactivity (ADHD) with primary sleep disorders, sleep problems often go unassessed and when left untreated may result in significant functional impairments affecting a wide variety of life domains. Although prior ADHD studies have reported findings related to sleep, the impact of the sleep disorders on daytime functioning has not been examined. This review investigates empirical findings pertaining to sleep abnormalities and related cognitive, behavioral, emotional, and physical impairments in individuals with ADHD and comorbid primary sleep disorders across the life span. It discusses implications for management, highlights existing limitations, and provides recommendations for future directions.
- Identify the main purpose of the study, the current assessment rate for sleep problems among people with ADHD, and the sleep disorders which are commonly comorbid with ADHD.
- Evaluate the data by exploring the discussed findings in conjunction with the clinical recommendations
- Integrate the study limitations with the identified areas of future research
- Read and understand Sleep disorders in patients with ADHD: impact and management challenges
- Review the Course Description and Learning Objectives
- Consider the factors related to sleep disorders among people with ADHD
- Work through the post-test questions; keep in mind that answer selections should be derived from the respective article
- Return to the referenced article for any missed questions and/or to better understand the relationships between ADHD and comorbid sleep disorders, and treatment recommendations for each of the most frequently comorbid sleep disorders
|Board Approvals||American Psychological Association (APA), NBCC, Florida Board - Social Work, MFT, Counseling, and Psychology, NYSED - Social Work, MFT and Counseling Only, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders|
|CE Format||Online, Text-Based|