Suicide Guide for Schools (3 CE)
Course Level: Intermediate
This course is for: Social Workers, Psychologists, Counselors, and Marriage & Family Therapists
Course By: Helen Hinton, LPCC
Content By: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, & Suicide Prevention Resource Center. (2018). After a suicide: A toolkit for schools (2nd ed.). Waltham, MA: Education Development Center.
Course Description: Suicide is the second leading cause of death among pre-teens and adolescents. Student suicide can have an enormous impact on schools and surrounding communities. A coordinated response effort is essential for decreasing suicide contagion and assisting with grief processing. After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools (Suicide Prevention Resource Center and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) serves as a resource for assisting school staff with coordinated response implementation pertaining to student deaths by suicide. Postvention strategies and recommendations for students, families, communities, and staff are presented with concomitant tools and templates designed to assist education professionals. Practical guidelines pertaining to media communication, community interaction, memorial assistance, and social media management are also included. Additional discussion surrounding essential coping skills for suicide-risk reduction among vulnerable students in the immediate aftermath, and in the following weeks and months thereafter, are also discussed.
- Describe the immediate steps a crisis response team coordinator should take when learning about a student’s suicide
- Define postvention and understand effective postvention tasks and strategies
- Describe effective strategies and related implementation for mitigating suicide contagion
- Understand communication approaches pertaining to media interactions, community interactions, memorial service assistance, and social media management
- Describe how the tools, templates, and included resources can help with suicide prevention plan implementation
- Read and understand After a suicide: A toolkit for schools (2nd ed.).
- Read and review the Course Description and Learning Objectives
- Describe how postvention strategy implementation can mitigate suicide contagion
- Identify and describe practical coping strategies for vulnerable individuals
- Understand effective guidelines for external communication
- Access resources, tools, and templates that may be useful for implementing a comprehensive suicide prevention plan
- Work through the post-test questions; bear in mind that answer selections should be derived from the respective journal article
- Return to the referenced article for any missed questions and/or to review the identified resources that are necessary for providing suicide postvention
|Board Approvals||American Psychological Association (APA), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NBCC, Florida Board - Social Work, MFT, Counseling, and Psychology, NYSED - Social Work, MFT and Counseling Only, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders|
|CE Format||Online, Text-Based|