Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies (8 CE)
Course Level: Advanced
Course By: Alden Hori, PhD
Dr. Hori earned a PhD in psychology from the University of California at Riverside. He was an Associate-In Professor and Research Assistant at the University of California at Riverside, where he supervised the completion of over 50 research projects in psychology. He is credited with three publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Content By: Daniel J. Siegel, MD, and Tina Payne Bryson, PhD
Course Delivery: Online, Self-Paced (Customer purchases separately)
About the Author: Daniel J. Siegel, MD, is a graduate of the Harvard Medical School, Executive Director of the Mindsight Institute, and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at UCLA School of Medicine, where he is Co-Director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center. He is the author of the internationally acclaimed, best-selling The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being and the co-editor of The Healing Power of Emotion and Healing Trauma: Attachment, Mind, Body, and Brain.
Tina Payne Bryson, PhD, is a pediatric and adolescent psychotherapist, parenting consultant, and the director of parenting education and development for the Mindsight Institute. A frequent lecturer to parents, educators, and professionals, she lives near Los Angeles with her husband and three children.
The authors of this course offer a revolutionary approach to child-rearing with twelve key strategies that foster healthy brain development, leading to calmer, happier children. The authors explain – and make accessible – the new science of how a child’s brain is wired and how it matures. The “upstairs brain,” which makes decisions and balances emotions, is under construction until the mid-twenties. And especially in young children, the right brain and its emotions tend to rule over the logic of the left brain. By applying these discoveries to everyday parenting, you can turn any outburst, argument, or fear into a chance to integrate a child’s brain and foster vital growth.
Complete with age-appropriate strategies for dealing with day-to-day struggles and illustrations that help you to explain these concepts to children, this course shows you how to cultivate healthy emotional and intellectual development so that children can lead balanced, meaningful, and connected lives.
- Evaluate the integration of a child’s left brain and right brain to help the child connect both the logical and emotional selves
- Delineate the importance of connecting the instinctual “downstairs brain” with the more thoughtful “upstairs brain”
- Evaluate processes for helping a child deal with painful events from the past by focusing on the importance of understanding
- Evaluate how to teach children that they have the capacity to pause and reflect on their own state of mind
- Summarize ways to teach children about the happiness and fulfillment that result from being connected to others
- Course book: Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture your Child's Developing Mind, Daniel J. Siegel, MD, and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D., Bantam (ISBN-13: 978-0553386691), which can be purchased separately from Amazon.com or other bookseller.
- Course Exam: You must complete a multiple-choice post-test with a score of 75% or better and complete a course evaluation.
- Course Certificate: Printable online certificate immediately available after successful completion