Animal-Assisted Therapy - Live Online (3hr CE)
Course Title: Animal-Assisted Therapy – Live Online
Course Level: Beginner, Intermediate
Course Developed By: Natalie Liberman, MSW, LCSW; M.A, LMFT
Bio: Natalie Liberman is a multi-lingual Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, as well as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She earned her Bachelor's degree in Psychology from the University of California, Los Angeles and her first Master's degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy from Pepperdine University. Natalie also holds a Master of Social Work degree from the University of Dubna.
Course Delivery: Live Online, Instructor-led via Zoom Meeting
Animals have been used by people for many purposes for thousands of years. Dogs have been used as guards, guides, messengers, and hunting partners, and today are the most commonly utilized therapy animal. This course will go over the history of the evolution of the relationship people share with dogs and describe how dogs and other animals have taken on an important role in the lives of people including therapeutic treatment.
- Describe the difference between service animals, including psychiatric service animals, Emotional Support Animals (ESAs), and therapy animals, including facility animals.
- Evaluate a client’s potential need for animal-assisted therapy and decide whether the client would benefit more from a service animal, ESA, or another form of animal-assisted treatment.
- Assist clients in locating a facility from which they can receive a service animal that is trained to their specific needs.
- Determine when it is clinically responsible to write an ESA letter and write a valid ESA letter that follows proper guidelines.
- Describe which federal and state laws protect handlers of service animals, ESAs, and therapy animals.
- Advise clients on the best ways to go about attempting to live with assistance animals in “no pets” homes or attempting to fly with assistance animals.
To complete your course, please attend the live class session(s) and complete the evaluation. You will need to attend the live session(s) and complete the evaluation before you can print your certificate.
|Board Approvals||Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), NBCC, Florida Board - Social Work, MFT, Counseling, and Psychology, NYSED - Social Work, MFT and Counseling Only, American Academy of Health Care Providers in the Addictive Disorders|
|CE Format||Live Online|
|Asset Includes||Online Programs|