Group Therapy Manual for Substance Abuse Treatment (8 CE)
Course Level: Intermediate
Course By: Alden Hori, PhD
Dr. Hori earned a PhD in psychology from the University of California at Riverside. He was an Associate-In Professor and Research Assistant at the University of California at Riverside, where he supervised the completion of over 50 research projects in psychology. He is credited with three publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Content By: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Course Delivery: Online, Self-Paced
This course presents an overview of the role and efficacy of group therapy in substance abuse treatment planning. This course offers research and clinical findings and distills them into practical guidelines for practitioners of group therapy modalities in the field of substance abuse treatment. The course describes effective types of group therapy and offers a theoretical basis for group therapy’s effectiveness in the treatment of substance use disorders. This work also will be a useful guide to supervisors and trainers of beginning counselors, as well as to experienced counselors. Finally, the course is meant to provide researchers and clinicians with a guide to sources of information and topics for further inquiry.
- Summarize the purpose, main characteristics, leadership, and techniques of five group therapy models, three specialty groups, and groups that focus on solving a single problem
- Evaluate the many considerations that should be weighed before placing a client in a particular group, especially keying the group to the client’s stage of change and stage of recovery
- Compare fixed and revolving types of therapy groups and delineate ways to prepare clients for participation
- Evaluate different therapeutic strategies and approaches to leadership at the early, middle, and late stages of treatment
- Summarize the characteristics, duties, and concepts important to promote effective group leadership in treating substance abuse
- Delineate training opportunities available to substance abuse treatment professionals
Course materials can be downloaded or read online. To receive a certificate of completion, you must complete an online multiple-choice post-test with a score of 75% or better and complete an online course evaluation.